Kid-Friendly Casserole To Feed A Crowd Or Your Family For A Few Nights
I’ve mentioned a few times that one of my best survival methods for getting through a busy week is to make my meals ahead of time so that we can just heat and eat. Next week is going to be an insane week so I am making this family staple times two on Sunday. One for my own family and the second to take to my preschoolers open house (our class is tasked with a main dish).
I’m sharing the recipe as I normally make it, but I’m also going to share some recipe shortcuts to help you make it quicker. If you are making this recipe fresh on a weeknight, I highly recommend using my shortcuts since this recipe requires a lot of prep work. The benefit is, my kids love it and it makes a lot of food so we usually can get three dinners (for 4 people) out of one casserole when we add a salad.
- Since you need to have the chicken pre-cooked, you can either poach the chicken ahead of time, which is what I usually do, or buy a rotisserie chicken to use. This is also great with leftover chicken.
- Add more or less vegetables, depending on your time and what you have on hand. I’m making it with just broccoli this week because I don’t think the preschoolers will like mushrooms, but I have also added zucchini, carrots and peas to the recipe to up the vegetable count.
- My biggest cheat for this recipe is that I use frozen brown rice. I just microwave it for 3 minutes and add it to the tray instead of making rice from scratch. I stink at making rice and this is a huge timesaver.
Cheesy Chicken And Rice Casserole
16 oz of prepared rice
1-2 cups of broccoli florets
1 cup of sautéed chopped mushrooms
2 cooked chicken breasts (shredded or cubed)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ cup sour cream
½ cup shredded cheese (I use cheddar)
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare rice, chicken and mushrooms
- In medium size bowl, combine shredded cheese, cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup, sour cream salt and pepper
- Spray casserole dish with cooking spray (to prevent sticking)
- Combine all ingredients in casserole dish and heat uncovered in oven for 30 minutes